Guillermo Ramirez, Politecnico Grancolombiano in Bogota Columbia, has created a thoughtful presentation on “The 5 Biggest Mistakes in Virtual Education” (link here). I enjoy and agree with his premise that building a community is essential to effective online learning. Really this is no different than what many of the most successful online companies have figured out. Providing interaction with learners creates community, just as a business can create interaction (user comments and recommendations, live feeds, real-time help) that builds that same sense of ownership in customers.
His five biggest mistakes:
1. Believing that virtual education = massive education
2. Believing that virtual education = mysterious and complex education
3. Putting technology before pedagogy
4. Underestimating your teachers and students
5. Taking the fun out of education
+1. Making the same mistakes and expecting different results
You can view Ramirez’s slideshare below.